Spring salad bowls

Spring salad bowls | My Darling Lemon Thyme

Spring salad bowls | My Darling Lemon Thyme

Versions of this salad bowl have been on high rotation around our house of late. Due to health problems I may or may not one day talk about on here, both my husband and I are eating a super rigid diet for the next little while. A diet without grains, dairy and any and every kind of sugar, natural or otherwise. I miss chocolate.

For me the diet changes haven’t been so huge, but for my wheat/dairy/sugar eating fruit-bat of a husband, the changes have been huge.  And I gotta say, he’s been handling it like a trooper. There have been more ‘man this is yum’ than usual, which has really taken me by surprise! That said, he is getting off rather lightly, having an in-house personal chef at his beck and call. Oh to do an intensive cleanse and have someone else think about and prepare everything that you eat.

It’s long been known that I love nothing more than a big flavour-packed salad for lunch. It’s something I eat nearly everyday of the year, lighter in summer and heavier roasted veggie-style ones throughout the cooler months. Mostly I just mix everything together in one big bowl and dig in. Packing salads is a whole other beast. So in a bid to avoid soggy lettuce and herbs come lunchtime, I started making salad bowls and packing them into a glass food container, all ready for him to mix up come lunchtime. It all started on the first day of our cleanse. I knew he’d be missing his usual lunchtime food, so I put a bit more effort into my salad than I usually would, making one for him as well and presenting it in the oh-so-in-vogue Buddha bowl style. I figured, if it looked pretty and tasted great then the chances are, he’d love it right? He did. And has been looking forward to versions of this very bowl ever since!

Spring salad bowls | My Darling Lemon Thyme
Spring salad bowls | My Darling Lemon Thyme
Spring salad bowls | My Darling Lemon Thyme

So I know you’re thinking this looks like one hell of a lovely bowl of goodness, and it is yes. But really, all I really want to talk about today is the little shredded carrot number you see in there. It’s the only thing that has stayed the same in the weeks since our cleanse started. It’s so good, everything else seems insignificant in comparison. This one humble little carrot salad has the power to turn any manner of cold leftover into something truly special. Trust me. The husband said. The one day I’d run out of carrots he mentioned the salad hadn’t been as good as it usually was. Huh. We now have a constant supply of carrots in the fridge at all times. We’re obsessed. I think you will be too.

Spring salad bowls | My Darling Lemon Thyme

Spring salad bowls

There really are no hard and fast rules when it comes to salad bowls such as these. I tend to put my time an effort into getting a ton of flavour into one component of the salad and then add whatever else I have at hand, usually leftovers from dinner the night before. It varies everyday. (This was from last week, with homemade hummus on top and alfalfa sprouts). This carrot salad is also ah-mazing served by itself. It really is all just about getting my daily dose of carrot/sesame/coriander goodness, after all.

Serves 2

2 medium carrots, peeled and grated

A big handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped

2 tablespoons lightly toasted sesame seeds

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil

1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

The juice of 1 lime (or 1/2 lemon)

Leftover roasted vegetables, sliced cherry tomatoes, sprouted peas + mung beans, steamed asparagus, sauerkraut, sliced avocado, cauliflower rice (or cooked quinoa/millet/brown rice if you’re able to eat them), finely shredded lettuce or cabbage and toasted seeds, to serve

Combine grated carrots, coriander, sesame seeds, olive/flaxseed oil, sesame oil and lime juice in a bowl. Season with fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, mix well. Divide between two bowls. Arrange the rest of the ingredients in the bowl too and serve. Some parts I like eating separately, but mostly before eating I give it all a good old mix up.

Alison
    October 27, 2016 at 5:46 am

You’re right, I was thinking that salad bowl looks super yum! Thanks for recommending stuff that’s good for bellies, Emma! Gonna try this one soon.

mydarlinglemonthyme@gmail.com
      November 3, 2016 at 12:46 am

I hope you enjoy it! xx

Jacquie
    October 27, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Ha,how funny the world is.My hubby also having a few issues and I also am the one making sure he sits down to ultra healthy meals.When he cheats I wanna kill him,lol.What I wouldn’t give to have a personal chef eh?You guys take care,hope this finds you well(:

mydarlinglemonthyme@gmail.com
      November 3, 2016 at 12:47 am

Oh funny world alright! Sending lotsa love and healthy healing vibes xx

Alice
    October 28, 2016 at 3:41 am

We dropped all carbs recently and have been struggling with keeping the lunch and dinner time salads new and exciting, there are only so many options when doing no sugar/no carbs! Thanks for all of your recipes, your blog has been an endless source of inspiration.

mydarlinglemonthyme@gmail.com
      November 3, 2016 at 12:47 am

You’re welcome love! xx

Lisa Passmore
    October 28, 2016 at 4:50 am

Emma your recipes are fabulous with both your books now my kitchen bibles! We are a vegetarian family with gluten intolerance and some lactose issues so your recipes are a perfect match for our family. Thankyou and we wish you and your family well. x

mydarlinglemonthyme@gmail.com
      November 3, 2016 at 12:49 am

Thanks so much for your kind words Lisa. I’m so happy you and your family enjoy my recipes. Much love xx

Thendral
    October 31, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Can I ask what kind of shredder you used for the carrots?

mydarlinglemonthyme@gmail.com
      November 3, 2016 at 12:48 am

I use a mandolin-type grater. I picked mine up from the op-shop (thrift) but I’ve seen them in Asian food stores and some markets as well. Hope that helps! xx

Jodi
    November 5, 2016 at 5:29 am

Just landing here tonight and it’s been a little while since I last visited and the site looks FANTASTIC, Emma! Forgive me if this is old news but this little update is really lovey. As is this salad – yum. Hoping that you’re getting nourishment on every level these days. I could use a little sunshine myself as we’re heading into winter up here 🙂 Sending love x

mydarlinglemonthyme@gmail.com
      November 6, 2016 at 3:50 am

Thanks so much Jodi! A update was long overdue and I’m so happy with it all too 🙂

Zara @ Mcdonald's Delivery
    November 11, 2016 at 8:58 am

This bowl is really very delicious, healthy and with many vitamins.

J Krakau
    November 13, 2016 at 12:29 am

I just checked back in on you blog and am excited to see the change in direction. I have been very low carb for a few years so these new recipes are absolutely perfect. Thanks

Susan Salzman
    November 30, 2016 at 3:47 am

this is perfection!

Sarah Macey
    December 1, 2016 at 8:26 pm

This recipe looks very tasteful. I can’t wait to make one for myself. I have been trying to eat more veggies.