Mushroom curry recipe

5W7A4471

Those of you who have been here awhile will know by now how much of a produce geek I am. I look forward to our local Saturday farmers markets with much excitement, get my kicks out of growing our own herbs and vegetables and if anyone ever invites me on a farm tour, I’m there with bells on.
Yesterday, on a super crisp winters day I got to look around Western Australia’s largest mushroom growing facility with a bunch of fellow local Perth food lovers. I’d like to think I’m pretty well versed with the ins and outs of how mushrooms form and grow in the wild, but seeing this kind of commercial production was such an eye opener! Not only did we get to see the beautiful (and tasty) little mushrooms at every stage of their growth, but I learnt some crazy facts as well. Like, did you know mushrooms double in size in one day, and that us Western Australians purchase a whopping 110 tonnes of mushrooms every week? Awesome aye! Of those 110 tonne, 80 tonne are grown at Mushroom Exchange, just south of Perth City where we were yesterday, in a large housed facility that smells of sweet fertile soil and damp forest floors.

I’ve long been a fan of eating mushrooms, but even more so since my last blood tests showed up that like so many people these days, I’m deficient in vitamin D. I was kinda shocked to say the least, I mean I live in one of the hottest, sunniest cities on the planet?! But, when you work indoors like me and don’t get out in the sun as much as you’d like to other than over the summer holidays, well, it’s actually pretty easy to not get enough of the good stuff via the sun. Up until recently it was believed that we couldn’t get enough Vitamin D from food sources alone, but we now know that simply isn’t true. Mushrooms which are exposed to UV light either during growth, or set out in the midday sun after picking, absorb and retain Vitamin D from the suns rays. It totally blows my mind that you can place mushrooms bought from the store out into the sun and, for want of a better word, ‘charge’ them up in the sunshine! I’m constantly in awe of mother nature and seeing these little mushies growing in their large beds as tall as the ceiling, knowing their potential to deliver the vitamin D my body so needs, is just plain awesome.

Winter has well and truly arrived this week, and it’s warming curries that my mind instantly turns to as soon as the temperature drops. Heady with spice and served with fragrant basmati and coriander, this is curry is ridiculously simple and quick to make.
A few other mushrooms recipes to try out:

Mushroom curry
Tomatoes are grown all year round here in Perth, so I’ve used fresh. I’m sure you could get away with using tinned tomatoes if you don’t live somewhere warm enough to have tomatoes in the middle of winter, you might just want to add a touch more sugar to balance out the acidic nature of tinned tomatoes.
Serves 4

600g button mushrooms
3 large tomatoes (400g)
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons ghee (or olive oil for vegan/dairy-free option)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Pinch chilli powder or dried chilli
3/4-1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Pinch muscovado or unrefined raw sugar, to taste

Cooked basmati rice and coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve

Fill your jug with water and boil.Trim ends off the mushrooms, then use a damp cloth to wipe off any little bits of dirt.
Remove the core (the little end piece where it once joined to the plant) of the tomatoes with a sharp knife, then make a shallow cross cut on the round end. Place into a bowl and pour over boiling water. Allow to sit for 1 minute before draining off water. The skins should now slip off easily. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place into a small food processor, with the ginger and garlic. Blend until a puree forms. If you don’t have a food processor, simply chop the tomatoes and garlic finely.
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add fennel and cumin seeds and cook for 20 seconds. Add mushrooms, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring often. Add coriander, turmeric, chilli, salt and mix well before adding the tomato mixture (watch out as it may spit). Stir well, cover with a lid, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, increase heat slightly and cook for a further 5-8 minutes, stirring often until the sauce thickens. Add a pinch of sugar, to taste, you just want it to take the edge off the sourness from the tomatoes. Serve hot with basmati rice and scattered with coriander (cilantro) leaves. Store any leftovers in a glass jar/container in the fridge for 2-3 days. When you re-heat you might need to add a touch of water to adjust the sauce consistency.

Disclaimer: This blog post was sponsored by The Australian Mushroom Growers Association, as always all views are 100% my own. I only share things I love and those I think you will love also.

Mushroom Enthusiast
    June 23, 2015 at 5:24 am

A mushroom curry is just what is needed as the temperature drops. Thanks for sharing the good news about the #powerofmushrooms.

Kimberly/TheLittlePlantation
    June 23, 2015 at 6:25 am

I love mushrooms and love the fact that they are 'seasonal' all year round. So cool.
    This looks delicious! Thank you so much for sharing.

valentina | sweet kabocha
    June 23, 2015 at 6:39 am

I think we're almost all deficient, the majority of us work/study inside and the UV that make our vitamine D increase doesn't pass through windows's glass. And when we sunbathe we use solar screen to protect us, blocking the process.
    Btw, this curry seems delicious!

That's Food Darling
    June 23, 2015 at 8:18 am

Dear Em, we love the same ingredients, especially we're used to spice our meals pretty similar. Love that fact.
    All da best, Lisa

Lauren @ Lauren Caris Cooks
    June 23, 2015 at 10:04 am

This is so interesting. I had no idea mushrooms actually absorb sunlight. You could rename this dish sunshine curry and be totally accurate in what you were making πŸ˜‰ Also doubling in size in a day? That's CRAZY. I knew bamboo grew fast but never knew mushrooms grew so fast too!

June 30, 2015 at 2:54 am

Amazing little things aren't they?! πŸ™‚

Esther
    June 23, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thanks for sharing this. i love mushrooms…yummy.

Anna
    June 23, 2015 at 10:42 am

omg looks amazing!!! gotta try it πŸ˜€

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    June 23, 2015 at 11:22 am

I love mushrooms so much – they're so versatile!! And this recipe sounds perfect. Love the spices you used πŸ™‚

Subrata Kundu
    June 23, 2015 at 12:26 pm

such a simple curry!! i like your adding fennel seeds here. it definitely adds a diffrent flavor!!

Ann-Louise
    June 23, 2015 at 1:07 pm

This looks sooo delicious! I recently started a 2 week vegan challenge and this dish will make a perfect dinner. Otherwise I eat vegetarian and sometimes fish and this challenge is pushing me to try new recipes and change old habits. Exciting!

Sydney | Modern Granola
    June 23, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I've been craving mushrooms like crazy lately, and this sounds so good! What a creative way to use them! I can't wait to try this recipe.
    Happy summer!
    xx Sydney

Abby
    June 23, 2015 at 7:30 pm

How lovely this post is, Emma! I've struggled with vitamin D in the past, as well, (despite living in Southern California…), and for that reason this recipe is incredibly appealing to me. Love it! <3

Hannah | The Swirling Spoon
    June 23, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Related to your first sentence about being a produce nerd: As someone who is trying to make more conscious choices about produce, it seriously blows me away that we are able to grow such an abundance of fruit and veg in Queensland and Australia in general (but particularly Queensland – this place is mega amazing for growing food. there is a variety of things we just grow all year round). I really never appreciated it before. Anyway, I love your curries, Emma, they're always so vibrant! And a curry with mushroom taking centre stage is my kind of meal πŸ˜€

Gourmet Getaways
    July 4, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Wow, those mushrooms are adorable cooked and raw…Love them curried, too!!

Julie & Alesah
    Gourmet Getaways xx

JJ - 84thand3rd
    July 5, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Goodness this looks amazing Emma!

Nina
    July 17, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Yum, made this and it is so good! Thank you. We love your blog and cookbook and discuss your recipes among our friends regularly….which ones we've tried, etc. The thing that always amazes us is that, all your recipes work, they turn out great and look like they do in the cookbook.

July 18, 2015 at 6:53 am

You've just made my day Nina! It's so good to know my perfectionist recipe-testing tendencies pay off πŸ™‚ Yay! xx

janna
    July 22, 2015 at 10:43 am

I think most of the vitamin d stuff is a big advertising thing at the moment. I work indirectly for the chemical industry for which vitamin d is the same kind of product as fertilizer, pesticides and antibiotics. They want to sell it. And the pay for the studies. I'm not saying that vitamin d isn't good, but I'm not believing the hype at all. AND it's the same industry that produces sunscreen, which prevents our bodies to produce vitamin d from the sun, so it's twice as profitable for them.

July 24, 2015 at 5:41 am

This is exactly the reason why I prefer to get my Vitamin D from natural sources such as the sun and mushrooms! x