Fried egg tortilla with cucumber jalapeno salsa recipe (gluten + dairy-free)

IMG_7184

With the summer holidays in full swing and the temperatures soaring I’d love to say we’ve been at the beach all day, everyday… but alas most days I’ve been in the kitchen cooking up a storm for a few projects I’ve got on the go. We have managed a few early morning trips to the beach though and we’ve also got plans to take off down south in a few weeks and I’m more than just a teeny bit excited at the thought of white beaches, blue sky, ocean, good food and nothing to do but hang with my beautiful little family. Lunches of late have mostly been things-on-toast as they are the quickest thing to prepare, and with the kids at home I’ve been making a double batch of my gluten-free sourdough (recipe in my cookbook) every 2-3 days to keep up with demand… Which is totally ok on the cooler days, but when the temperature reaches near or over 40C, well lets just say, heating up the oven feels just a tad crazy! Ha.

To break out of the things-on-toast for lunch buzz yesterday, I whipped up this simple tasty little number which actually only takes a few minutes longer than the toast route and requires you to heat up a pan for just a few minutes so as not to contribute to the overall stifling heat of the house too much. The end results were everything I love in a quick lunch; crispy fried eggs, warm tortilla and a spicy little cucumber salsa scattered on top. I smeared the lot with some of my homemade Sriracha too, which we all know I’m kinda addicted to…

Wishing you all a safe and fun-filled New Years Eve + blessings for 2015 (seriously, where did that year go?).
xx Emm

PS. The third print run of my cookbook is expected in stores mid-Jan in case you were wondering why it’s out of stock online (I’ve had a bunch of emails lately!). There should still be some copies in a few stores around NZ/Australia if you’re lucky. I’ve also got some exciting news for my Northern Hemisphere friends regarding my cookbook which I’ll share more about as soon as I can. Thanks SO much for your support, it’s been a crazy big year!

Fried egg tortilla with cucumber jalapeno salsa
This makes enough to serve one, but can easily be scaled up to feed a crowd. I recommend you season the salsa right before serving to prevent the salt from drawing water from the cucumber… which will make your tortillas soggy. If you do find a little liquid in the bottom of the salsa bowl, simply drain out before spooning onto the tortillas. You can find my homemade Sriracha recipe here. I used Mission brand white corn tortillas cause I was in a hurry, but if you prefer to make your own you can find my recipe here (just cook them in a hot dry pan until golden and cooked through). If you’re not 100% dairy-free, a little crumbling of feta cheese would be super good on these also.
Serves 1 (two tortillas)

1 Lebanese cucumber, finely diced (or about a 10cm piece of telegraph cucumber)
1 pickled jalapeno, finely diced
a handful coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughly chopped
the juice of 1 lime
sea salt + freshly ground black pepper

2 white corn tortillas (gluten-free)
2 large free-range eggs
olive oil or ghee to fry
hot sauce (like homemade Sriracha), to serve

Combine diced cucumber, jalapeno, coriander and lime in a small bowl, mix well and set aside while you get onto the tortillas and eggs (season the cucumber right before serving to prevent the salt from drawing water from the cucumber… which will make your tortilla soggy).

Heat the tortillas in a dry frying pan over medium heat until soft, set aside. Heat a little olive oil or ghee in the same pan and fry your eggs to your liking, seasoning the tops with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Season the cucumber salsa. Serve fried eggs on the warmed tortillas with a few good spoonfuls of salsa and a smear of hot sauce. Eat immediately.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    December 31, 2014 at 2:27 am

I am all over this!! Such a yummy dinner (and quick)!

Millie | Add A Little
    December 31, 2014 at 6:39 am

This looks delicious – would be the perfect hangover brunch after NYE too 😉

Joan
    December 31, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hi, mine is more of a query re airline food options. Have you/has anyone explored with Qantas etc the possibility of a vegetarian gluten free option? Looking at food selection categories on Singapore Airlines, they appear to be identical to Qantas, so maybe they are dictated by global food kitchens. I want neither the meat nor the gluten. Thanks.

December 31, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Hi Joan, What I usually do is order the Asian vegetarian meal, this way your meal will come with rice and you can simply just leave the bread roll. However if you are coeliac I'd just order a fruit platter as your meal and pack loads of homemade food to take on the plane xx

cynthia
    December 31, 2014 at 6:21 pm

These are making me drool in a BIG way. They look incredible — nothing beats simple & tasty. Happy happy new year to you, Emma!!! So glad to have met you this year!

January 10, 2015 at 2:28 am

Happy New Year to you too love! Wasn't it awesome to get to meet in person, still can't quite believe that US trip actually happened! xx

Danica Pelzel
    January 3, 2015 at 3:59 am

This looks fantastic. I can't wait to try the salsa!

Cathleen
    January 4, 2015 at 6:10 am

This looks so good! I am totally craving this right now!

Lynn
    January 4, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Anything with sriracha is tops in my book. Love this as a quick and easy meal to add into our breakfast rotation.

Lynn | The Road to Honey

food that sings
    January 5, 2015 at 8:00 am

Hey my darling, so happy to have found you, lol. Seriously, your site is so pretty, one of my favs now! Thanks so much for sharing the good stuff. Looking forward to sharing with you in the new year.
    For now, just thought I’d let you know I’d mentioned your fantastic work in my latest post :))
    Cheers Roni xx

January 5, 2015 at 10:21 am

On this grey + rainy monday, I love the sneak peek into your summer. It makes me feel that bit warmer!

PS SUPER (!!) excited about the idea that we might be getting your book up here at some point soon…

January 10, 2015 at 2:30 am

Oh gosh Kathryn, it's been killing me that things are taking so long with International distribution, something I will make sure doesn't happen with book two that's for sure. xx

Megan Nolan
    January 5, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Emma this looks SO yummy! As 2015 starts, I am realizing that I really need to grab my diet by the horns, accept my allergies and intolerances and start changing the way I eat. I have had serious asthma and allergies my entire life, and just started listing to the doctors telling me to cut out dairy, gluten and red meat. It has only been one week but I already feel great! No more eczema and hardly any breathing problems. I am so excited to start digging in to your recipe index and trying all of your beautiful dairy/gluten free options. Thank you Emma for always being inspiring! xx Meg | bread+barrow

January 10, 2015 at 2:32 am

That's so great to hear Megan, all the best xx

Abby
    January 6, 2015 at 12:58 am

Happy, Happy New Year, Emma! Wishing you and your family a fun & healthy 2015.
    This recipe looks so delicious… and what lovely photos!
    xx

Triple Crème Decadence
    January 6, 2015 at 7:16 am

I'm all for this! That crunchy cucumber salsa sounds brilliant against the creamy texture of the runny egg. Happy New Year!

Amy zhong
    January 7, 2015 at 4:43 am

love how you made something so simple look so gorgeous! that sounds like a lovely snack for one of these sweltering hot summer days!

Teffy Perk
    January 9, 2015 at 2:23 am

Looks so yummy!! Sometimes nothing beats eggs on gf tortilla!
    Do you buy or make your own pickled jalapeno? Is it quite spicy?

I've been checking bookworld like mad because I can't wait until your cookbook comes back!!

{Teffy's Perks} X

January 10, 2015 at 2:27 am

Hey love, yes I do make my own pickled jalapeno, they are hot but much more mild than say a birds eye chilli. You can leave it out completely if you don't do chilli. New stock should be in stores/online in a week or so, yay! xx

Sherrie
    January 9, 2015 at 5:54 pm

These are just oh so lovely, classic perfection in every way Emma!!

Nik@ABrownTable
    January 11, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Emma, happy belated new year! This is such a simple yet lovely recipe. I'm so happy for you and I know more good things will come for you this year too 🙂

Sylvie @ Roamingtaste
    January 15, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I'm still craving this! Simple, yet amazing ingredients that I can't wait to try in my kitchen.

Lynn | The Road to Honey
    February 20, 2015 at 12:02 pm

I've been making this dish for breakfast at least once a week. It's so simple to make and packs a punch of flavor.