roasted pumpkin, millet + herb patties

IMG_4551sm

If you were to peak into my fridge on any given day, you’d be greeted by numerous jar of flours, fresh and fermented vegetables, a large jar of sourdough starter-taking up half the top shelf, some excess kefir grains (doing their thing) and all sorts of containers of leftover food from the night before. On a bad day there will also be containers of leftovers from two nights ago…
Mostly we don’t have huge amounts of leftovers as we’re all pretty big eaters (I’ll need a new job if we are to feed our kids when they’re teenagers judging by the large amounts of food they both already eat!), but every few days there’s a few little bits and pieces hanging out in there waiting to be eaten or re-purposed in other meals. If you follow me on Instagram you’ll be familiar with my mish-mash leftover salads, but sometimes it’s nice to put those leftovers to good use. When I have leftover grains (millet and quinoa mostly), along with using them as the base of salads, I also like to turn them into herb-heavy patties, bound together with what ever roasted veggies I may have at hand. In this instance it was pumpkin (or squash, if you’re from the top of the world!).

Just a little note on cooking millet if you are planning on keeping some as leftovers… it has a tendency to clump together into one large mass once it’s cooked, so make sure you fluff things up with a fork once it’s cooked and if you are not eating it right away, come back to it every 5 minutes or so while it’s cooling, continuing to fluff it up with the fork, breaking up any little clumps as you do. This way when you transfer it to a container and store it in the fridge, you will be greeted with lovely fluffy millet the next day. Which is much more appealing I think…

Other millet recipes you might like:
Spiced pumpkin + millet porridge (sweet breakfast porridge)
There’s also a bunch of great millet recipes in my cookbook.

roasted pumpkin, millet + herb patties
You can cook millet specifically for this recipe following the instructions on this post, or this is a great way to use up leftover millet if you have some from a previous meal. Roasted kumara (sweet potato) would be a lovely change from the pumpkin and leftover cooked quinoa can be used instead of millet, it that’s what you have at hand. Here in Australia/New Zealand we call everything pumpkin, but for my US readers, what you know as butternut squash is perfect to use here. I use Kialla organic hulled millet.
Serves 3-4

750g piece pumpkin (approx. 1/4 medium pumpkin or 1/2 medium butternut squash)
olive oil, sea salt + black pepper

2 cups cooked millet, cooled
1 large free-range egg
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup millet flakes (lupin or quinoa flakes could also be used, or rolled oats if tolerated)
2 tablespoons arrowroot or GMO-free cornflour
2 good big handfuls of fresh herbs, roughly chopped (I used flat parsley, chives + thyme)

salad greens and tomato relish to serve, optional

Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Peel and de-seed pumpkin (squash) and chop into 2cm pieces. Place onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt + pepper. Give it a good mix, then roast for 20-25 minutes, turning once during cooking, until golden and tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

When pumpkin has cooled, place into a medium bowl along with remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. The pumpkin will break up, this is okay but try to keep a few little chunks intact too. Set mixture aside for 5 minutes to rest and absorb excess moisture. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan and shallow-fry tablespoonfuls of mixture for 1-2 minutes on either side, or until cooked through and golden. Transfer patties to a paper towel-lined plate while you continue to cook the remaining mixture.

Sprinkled the patties with a little extra flaked salt if you like, and serve hot with tomato relish and salad on the side.

Jasmine Ann
    September 22, 2014 at 4:00 am

I love creating different meals from leftovers (and can't wait to have my own fridge once again to stock!), these babies looks so nice and crispy on the outside. Bookmarked – of course!

September 23, 2014 at 1:03 am

Thanks Jas! You won't know yourself when you get into your new house 🙂

Tieghan
    September 22, 2014 at 4:17 am

I am the queen of using up leftovers for another meal, but you pretty much blew my away with these!! Love the flavors!

September 23, 2014 at 1:03 am

🙂 Thanks love!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen
    September 22, 2014 at 4:18 am

Yum. These look absolutely delicious! Love the crispy crust!

September 23, 2014 at 1:04 am

Thanks Liz, they're extra good eaten straight from the pan whilst still screaming hot… when the outside is still crispy 🙂

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar
    September 22, 2014 at 10:33 am

These patties sound heavenly! Love, love, love!

September 23, 2014 at 1:04 am

Thanks Katrina! xx

Ksenia @ At the Immigrant's Table
    September 22, 2014 at 12:15 pm

My best friend spent five months in India, studying the production of local millets, and how farmers can be incentivized to grow more indigenous millets instead of unsustainable and homogenous white rice. She would speak so lovingly of the strange grain, and of how it could come to taste give the right treatment. Since then, millets and millet flour have always had a warm place in my heart. These patties look like they would shine a whole new light on this rarely-mentioned grain. Well done!

September 23, 2014 at 1:08 am

Thanks Ksenia! I've eaten millet since I was a kid, but it's been awesome to see it becoming more and more used all over the world these days. I actually just watched a short documentary (on my last flight to NZ) about communities in India getting back to growing and eating millet, which used to be their staple diet before rice took over. It was interesting to hear them say how much more strength and energy they have since eating millet again on a daily basis. Your friends time in India sounded facinating! xx

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats
    September 22, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I usually have to transform leftovers before I eat them so love this idea !

September 23, 2014 at 1:09 am

Hope you try it 🙂 Enjoy xx

cynthia
    September 22, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Oh, these look so, so perfect, Emma! So hearty and full of texture — I only just made quinoa patties for the first time the other day and was in love, so I can just imagine how wonderful these are. Thank you for sharing!

September 23, 2014 at 1:09 am

You're welcome Cynthia! If you liked quinoa patties, you'll love these xx

Amy @ Parsley In My Teeth
    September 22, 2014 at 5:18 pm

That's very good advice about fluffing the millet. The first time I cooked it, I was left with a big glob in the pan. These patties look delicious!

September 23, 2014 at 1:10 am

It's a little tip I now wish I'd written in my cookbook (there's loads of millet recipes in there)! It really does make leftover millet much more edible! xx

Alana | Fix Feast Flair
    September 22, 2014 at 7:31 pm

So, I've never cooked millet and now I'm wondering why. These patties sound filling and flavorful. Bookmarking these to whip up asap!!

September 23, 2014 at 1:11 am

Millet is such an underrated grain (well, seed actually!). I hope you try it soon xx

renee (will frolic for food)
    September 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm

these are gorgeous! i have a big bag of millet in my pantry that i've been wanting to use in a savory dish (besides on it's own with butter). and i've got a ton of squash around too! i love that this only has 6 ingredients, too. totally manageable for a weeknight dinner 🙂

September 23, 2014 at 1:12 am

Absolutely! Once the millet and pumpkin is cooked it only takes moments before you're sitting down to feast 🙂 xx

Nicola Galloway / Homegrown Kitchen
    September 22, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Must try these Emm, we often have leftover millet lurking in the fridge. And thanks for the tip about millet to fluff as it cools, it can end up so dry and clumpy the next day in the fridge!

September 23, 2014 at 1:14 am

You're welcome Nicola! It's something I've always done instinctively with millet… but now I'm wishing I had shared this tip in my book, will have to in my next one!

InTolerant Chef
    September 23, 2014 at 12:10 am

Great way to use up extras! The colour is so pretty too 🙂 x

September 23, 2014 at 1:14 am

Thanks love! xx

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today
    September 23, 2014 at 8:30 am

I like the millet tip and I like what your fridge includes 🙂 I saw one of your pictures on pinterest, obviously I pinned it 😀 So beautiful!

September 24, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I love these! They sound really tasty and just the kind of thing I like to eat. It's always so good to have some ideas about what to do with leftovers too because I tend to be uninspired most of the time!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    September 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Love that you added pumpkin to these. Pinned!

Mary Frances
    September 24, 2014 at 8:50 pm

These look delicious! So many amazing pumpkin recipes are being posted this fall, I'm so glad!

Kelly O
    September 25, 2014 at 5:05 am

Emma, courtesy of your cookbook, I'm now a millet fan! I'm definitely going to try the tip too – it will make my leftovers in the morning much easier to heat up for porridge. I've recently found out that I cannot eat eggs anymore 🙁 just wondering if you thought maybe a flax or chia seed egg would work as a replacer?

September 25, 2014 at 5:18 am

Oh that's so cool to hear that I've got you onto millet! For an egg-free version of these I'd just make sure the mixture is much drier, so maybe add extra millet/quinoa flakes or oats if tolerated, or an extra tablespoon or two of the arrowroot/cornflour. I wouldn't bother with flax or chia eggs, the patties will be a little more breakable, but still yum.xx

Kelly O
      September 30, 2014 at 12:45 am

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Caz
    September 26, 2014 at 4:19 pm

one of the few recipes I needed to make immediately (maybe because I had all the ingredients?) I'm obsessed with 101 Cookbooks quinoa patties and these are really similar.
    The boyfriend and I made them on Monday evening with sweet potato instead of squash and added feta cheese (because yum), I added an extra egg because it seemed like it needed it, and skipped the 1/4c of millet flakes just because it didn't seem to need more dry. Delicious, and held together really well. I'll definitely add them into my rotation with the quinoa patties and probably continue to riff off them as I've got ingredients on hand.

Mandy Dugas
    September 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Emma! Have you tried adding a bit of coconut oil to your millet so it doesn't stick into clumps? I love veggie patties! These would be so perfect for even thanksgiving! GO PUMPKIN and GO EMMA!

Mandy Dugas @ MandysHealthyLife.com