Vietnam, take me back…

12457058613_6a1959e225_z

Untitled

It’s hard to believe it’s been over 6 weeks since we left Vietnam. We seem to have hit the ground running since our arrival home and I’ve hardly had a moment to stop and breath, hence my lack of posts lately… and it taking me a whopping 6 weeks to finally post these!
I can’t even begin to explain how truly amazing it was to take our kids over there for the first time, after talking about it with them their whole lives. And you know the funniest thing? It was like they had lived there their whole lives, nothing really fazed them; not the busyness, the strange smells or people pinching their faces (half-cast kids are adored over there!), they instantly bonded with their family in the village (I didn’t see the kids for 2 days straight, they were too busy playing with their cousins!) and it was as if they knew deep down, they were home. What was even more amazing still was seeing them meet their 100 year old Grandma, who sadly passed away this week just gone. The tears in her little eyes as she met, hugged and kissed them on that first day in the village is an image I will never forget for as long as I live. Such special moments.

* You may have already seen my exciting news from a few days ago and I promise I will share more with you soon.
* A few of my instagram photos from Vietnam have been featured over on the beautiful site The Open Window Exchange.
* I’ve got my first post up on Common Threads if you wanna check it out, I talk about our dreams of growing stuff, lotsa stuff…

327

Shu Han
    February 14, 2014 at 5:13 am

Love your photos! I must make it to the south of vietnam next time. Hanoi was beautiful but I feel the south has a slightly different feel to it judging from your photos! Gorgeous. And congrats on the book again, so exciting ๐Ÿ™‚

February 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Thanks love! Yes Southern Vietnam is quite different to the North, especially if you can get out into the countryside. xx

Meghan
    February 14, 2014 at 6:22 am

You've captured the Vietnam lifestyle and energy perfectly. Everything is so lively and warm, in a' humble sort of way. It makes me smile to think of your kids, thriving in their home-away-from-homeland, and I wish to run the streets with them, just to know the soils and the roots of this beautiful little place.

February 14, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Humble pretty much sums up Vietnam alright. I hope you get there some day love xx

femmegypsy
    February 14, 2014 at 7:31 am

Wow! I have always wanted to go to Vietnam and these photos just confirm this desire. Gorgeous.

February 14, 2014 at 3:16 pm

It's a truly special place, especially when you learn a little about the history of this harrowing country and see how resilient it's beautiful people are.

thyme Sarah
    February 14, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I love travel photos and these are terrific. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

February 14, 2014 at 3:17 pm

You're welcome! xx

Lindsey (dolly and oatmeal)
    February 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Emma, these images are quite amazing. I love how vibrant and "alive" each photo is. Must have been an incredible trip!

February 14, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Thanks so much Lindsey, it really was an incredible trip! xx

Lan | MoreStomach
    February 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm

do you children speak vietnamese? i was going to ask if not, how did they communicate but then i remembered when i was younger and playing with kids who did not speak english, and my vietnamese was so poor, and still having a grand time.

i love your vietnam pix, makes me want to go back.

February 15, 2014 at 12:24 am

Looking at them makes me wanna go back too ๐Ÿ™‚ Sadly our kids only know the odd word of Vietnamese, but that didn't seem to stop them from playing! They did get frustrated at times, but Si could translate for them whenever they really needed it xx

kankana
    February 14, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Lovely shots and so very vibrant with cheerful people!

February 15, 2014 at 12:25 am

Thanks Kankana! Everyone's always smiling in Vietnam ๐Ÿ™‚

The Life of Clare
    February 14, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Your photos are stunning, as always!

February 15, 2014 at 12:26 am

Thanks Clare! xx

KateP
    February 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Beautiful photos Emma and how exciting to see your dream come to fruition with your book – congratulations!

February 15, 2014 at 12:21 am

Thanks KateP! It's been a long time coming hasn't it? Thanks for being there from the start xx

Cheri Savory Spoon
    February 15, 2014 at 12:42 am

Amazing pics! The food markets look incredible. Must of been a great experience for the whole family.

February 17, 2014 at 2:02 am

The markets are totally amazing! I just wished that I had a kitchen to play around in while we were over there, it was torture not being able to buy all that beautiful produce! (We did go crazy on the fruit though, of course :-))

InTolerant Chef
    February 16, 2014 at 3:58 am

Great photos, they are wonderful indeed! Great news on the book- fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚
    Sorry about grandma, but how lovely that your children got to meet her and make memories before it was to late. I'm sure they'll never forget her xox

February 17, 2014 at 2:03 am

Thanks love, pretty damn lucky aren't we? xx

Jacquie
    February 16, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Beautiful ,beautiful:)Love seeing these,especially in this -40 degree winter,lol.you can really bring people into your pictures,i almost feel like I am the one standing in your sandals,jandals,,shoes taking them.

February 17, 2014 at 2:04 am

Ah awesome, thanks love! Not envious of your -40 degree weather! Lotsa love xx

February 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Such vibrant photographs, so full of life and colour; what I love about your pictures always. I'm so sorry for your family's loss but I'm so glad that your children got to meet their grandmother xo

February 17, 2014 at 2:04 am

Thanks so much Kathryn xx

Janet NZ
    February 17, 2014 at 6:29 am

I'm so sorry for your loss, but it's really lovely that Grandma got to meet your kids – and so very nice that she was 'aware' if you know what I mean?
    I was so worried that the Vietnamese would really dislike western people, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The South is different than the North, but they are the loveliest people. The food is amazing too.
    I would give anything to revisit…

February 17, 2014 at 12:15 pm

It's a truly special place isn't it?
      It's funny, it almost felt like Grandma was waiting for us to finally visit (she's been asking us to bring the kids over to meet her for a good few years now!) so she could pass peacefully. I feel so blessed for the time we got to spend with her. xx

erin@yummysupper
    February 18, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Emma, I hadn't realized that your kids had never been to Vietnam. How amazing for them to finally go and hang with their cousins. Adorable!
    And I love your travel pix. Those little white eggplants… wow!!
    xoxo to you,
    E

February 19, 2014 at 5:44 am

Haha, well you know taking that photo of the little white eggplants got me a slap on the bum from a cheeky old lady! It seems she wasn't too pleased with me taking photos unless I was going to also buy some… which I suppose is fair-enough ๐Ÿ˜‰

stephbarnhart
    February 21, 2014 at 2:36 am

Love this so much, Emma. Thanks for the link up!

Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things
    February 21, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Emma, a gorgeous post… truly beautiful! As soon as my specialist gives the okay, Peter and I will be travelling to Vietnam. Can hardly wait!

February 23, 2014 at 6:50 am

That's such great news Liz! xx

March 20, 2014 at 7:45 am

Even though it seems you stayed with family for most of your visit, can you recommend any nice guesthouses for a family to stay. Kind regards. Looking forward to visiting Vietnam.

March 21, 2014 at 1:53 am

There are loads and loads of guest houses and hotels to choose from in Vietnam! I don't know the names of the places we stayed off the top of my head sorry and it all depends on where you are planning to visit xx

Kimberley
    February 13, 2015 at 3:06 am

I just found out that I'm going to Vietnam (and Cambodia) in April and rushed over here to be re-inspired by your gorgeous images and trip. ๐Ÿ™‚ Such a beautiful story!

February 13, 2015 at 4:52 am