vegan fried rice with sugar-snap peas + chilli recipe

10202553696_6d9e3eec3c_z

vegan fried rice with peas + chilli

It feels like forever since I’ve been here. Really it’s only been a week or so, but life has been so busy these school holidays that to be honest I’ve not had even one second to pull a recipe together to share, until today. It’s been an eventful few weeks with trips to the beach, many catch ups with friends, birthday parties, trips to the city on the bus and train, a trip to the movies and a mini golf session yesterday. Phew. I think I’ve been trying to make up for the fact that the past few holidays I was too busy working on the book to really plan anything too exciting for the kids, so we’ve crammed it all into the past two weeks.
I’ve also been trying to fit in time to proof-read the fully designed pages of my book that arrived a little over a week ago. I can’t tell you how cool it is to finally see all my hard work actually all there, in print (albeit black and white computer paper!) and man I can’t wait for you all to see it too.

sneak peek
Untitled
Untitled

We arrived home at lunchtime today after running a few errands, starving and in need of a good feed. The kids happily ate a couple of salad sandwiches each, but me, I had other plans. The little man of the house can’t stand fried rice (I know right, what?!) so it’s not something I cook all that often. You can see why I pounced at the opportunity, especially when I already had a container of leftover cooked rice in the fridge that desperately needed using up if it was to avoid the compost bin in a few days time.
This made enough for a big bowlful, which I happily devoured with a side of my mother-in-laws Vietnamese pickles (you can find a similar recipe to hers, here). I kept this simple using just a few ingredients I had at hand, but you could always add in some pan-fried tempeh or tofu for a more substantial feast. And by all means, double up to feed a crowd. xx

p.s If you haven’t done so already, I’d love your vote over here. I’m nominated in the Best Kids Food Blog category. Many thanks!

vegan fried rice with sugar-snap peas + chilli

vegan fried rice with sugar-snap peas + chilli
If you are really sensitive to gluten or your coeliac try your best to source shao xing that’s made without wheat. Failing that you can use dry sherry in it’s place. You can find shao xing cooking wine at your local Asian grocery store for a couple of bucks. It can be left out of this recipe if you can’t find it, but it really does add the most amazing flavour. Fried rice works best with cold rice that’s been in the fridge overnight, as it stays separate when stir-fried.
Makes enough for one hungry person or two as a side.

1 tablespoon olive or virgin coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
1/2-1 long red chilli, finely chopped (remove the seeds if you like things less hot)
1 big handful of sugar-snap peas, halved lengthwise

1 tablespoon shao xing cooking wine (or dry sherry)
2 cups cooked cold jasmine rice
1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
pinch unrefined raw sugar
pinch ground white pepper (or freshly ground black pepper if that’s what you’ve got)
finely chopped chives + coriander (cilantro) leaves, to serve
Vietnamese pickles and slices of chilli, to serve, optional

Heat a saucepan or wok over high heat, add oil then garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir-fry for 15-20 seconds before adding in the sugar-snap peas. Continue to cook whilst stirring for a further 20-30 seconds. Add shao xing or sherry and cook for a second until evaporated. Add cold rice, crumbling with your hands to break up any chunks. Cook whist stirring for 1 minute, add soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and pepper. Taste and add a pinch fine sea salt if needed. Remove from the heat and serve immediately scattered with chopped chives and coriander leaves and pickles + chilli on the side, if you like.

Sneh | Cook Republic
    October 11, 2013 at 7:06 am

Making me hungry Emma! The book (from what I can see) looks gorgeous! I can't wait to get my copy when it is out πŸ™‚ Have a lovely weekend!

October 11, 2013 at 7:27 am

Thanks so much Sneh, you too! xx

Sini β”‚ my blue and white kitchen
    October 11, 2013 at 8:03 am

Must be an extremely exciting time for you right now! To be proof-reading your very own book…wow.

Fried rice makes such a nourishing, quick lunch. I love that you can throw in almost anything you have sitting on your countertop or in your fridge. Yum!

October 12, 2013 at 12:39 am

It sure is exciting! Can't wait to share it will everyone!

Sini | my blue and white kitchen
      November 9, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I made this delicious fried rice for a family dinner tonight. I added some whole prawns and used sherry instead of shao xing 'cause I wasn't able to find it at my local Asian grocery store (have to keep looking for it). Everyone at the table took a second (or even third) serving πŸ™‚ Thanks for serving this basic fried rice recipe, Emma! xoxo

November 10, 2013 at 12:12 am

So glad you all enjoyed it Sini! xx

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef
    October 11, 2013 at 10:56 am

I just had dinner but I'd like to start over with this.

Shelly @ Vegetarian 'Ventures
    October 11, 2013 at 12:34 pm

This looks so delicious! I love simple but flavorful recipes like this. I somehow end up with a long list of really complicated recipes and can't ever figure out what to make on the weekends so recipes like are wonderful finds!

October 12, 2013 at 12:45 am

Haha, I'm the same. But mostly I only cook things that can on the table in 30 mins max πŸ™‚

Christina @ The Hungry Australian
    October 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Gorgeous, Emma. I LOVE fried rice and yours look so delicious. Have fun going through your book – how exciting!

October 12, 2013 at 12:40 am

Thanks Christina! xx

Molly yeh
    October 11, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Isn't fried rice the best?! So yummy and comforting. And I cannot wait for your book!!!!!!

October 12, 2013 at 12:43 am

Me too! xx

erin @ yummy supper
    October 11, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Emma, SO exciting to get a little glimpse of your book! Wow, that must feel fantastic to be so close. Woo hoo!
    xoxo
    Erin

October 12, 2013 at 12:41 am

Woo hoo alright! And I know you know how I feel πŸ˜‰ Hope everything's good with you and your book love xx

Nicola Galloway
    October 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Congrats Emma on having the book pages in your hands. I remember how much it makes the book feel a reality rather than just words. Good luck with the editing my dear perfectionist Galloway πŸ™‚

October 12, 2013 at 12:42 am

Haha, oh no. Is that a trait that goes with all Galloway last names?! It's a blessing and a curse eh?

Diana Markova
    October 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Hi! I'm new to your blog. This recipe inspired my dinner – I didn't haven't all of the ingredients but it still turned out lovely! I love the addition of ginger and sesame oil.

– Diana

October 12, 2013 at 12:43 am

Hi Diana, welcome! I'm so happy to have inspired your dinner πŸ™‚

Jaimie
    October 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm

That's my favorite way to slice peas! πŸ™‚

KC
    October 11, 2013 at 10:58 pm

This looks delish! Sadly I had used up our leftover rice in a kedgeree last night. Might have to go put some more on now just so I have some "leftover" rice to make into fried rice.

Catherine
    October 12, 2013 at 1:17 am

Gorgeous! We have some sugar snaps growing at the moment and this recipes is making me want them to hurry up and put out some pods already!

Irina @ wandercrush
    October 12, 2013 at 6:21 am

Congratulations, Emma! Trust meβ€”we're all just as excited as you are.
    And good gracious, those snap peas are too adorable.

October 12, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thanks so much Irina, I'm glad I'm not the only excited one! πŸ™‚

Veggie Mama
    October 13, 2013 at 10:43 am

TOTALLY EXCITED about your book! And I also used to hate fried rice as a kid. My mum used to out Chinese Five Spice in it and I couldn't even stay in the house, it was awful. Love fried rice now though, and you've got me craving Vietnamese pickles!

Liz @ I Spy Plum Pie
    October 14, 2013 at 12:17 am

I wish I had some leftover rice to make this with! I think next time I need rice for something I'll be sure to cook more than I need so I can whip this up the next day!
    How exciting that your book is so close to completion!

October 14, 2013 at 11:29 am

Ah, how exciting to be proof reading the book! I can't wait to see it in real life : )

Sophie Hansen
    October 19, 2013 at 6:14 am

Hi there Emma – I can't wait to read your book and cook this rice!

Sophiex

sam @ nourish
    October 23, 2013 at 7:08 am

Hi Emma, thanks for sharing this recipe. I added it to the menu for my cooking classes with kids when you posted it, and it was a huge hit. All 200 + of them gave it a big thumbs up! The comments were just gorgeous too: 'this is the best fried rice I've ever tasted' to 'the ginger really makes it yummy'. Some were surprised at the level of flavour from just a few ingredients. I'll definitely be trying out more of your recipes on them. πŸ™‚

October 23, 2013 at 11:46 am

Ah how awesome Sam! Thanks for letting me know, that makes me happy beyond belief πŸ™‚