a few of my favourite things {September 2013}

9966232023_c2199e8dae_z

giant lemons

Our lemon tree is weird. Straight-up weird. Not only does it produce the strangest looking lemons ever (and I mean ever!), but it also grows giant ones which weigh in at just under 1kg each too! We picked these babies a few days ago and I’m still trying to think of what I should do with them? I’m open to your ideas if you wanna leave them in the comments section πŸ™‚

* This dinner looks beyond cool. What a set-up!
* Love this article.
* Love the vibe of this new-to-me blog.
* Also this new-to-me Aussie blog.
* I’ve been on the verge of writing a post with the exact same thoughts that Sheena has brought up in this post, but I don’t need to now πŸ™‚
* The kids loved getting crafty with this. Thanks Bizzy Box for the sample!
* Yes, yes, yes to this.
* Reading this book, thanks Janna!
* Love the sound of these Belly-Friendly No-Bake ‘Cheesecakes’. And I’m super excited about Jenni’s book!
* Sarah Blasko fan. Forever.
* Really excited to see these products in my local health food store (not sponsored, just genuinely stoked on them!).
* Great homemade dairy-free milk guide.
* Congrats AshlaeKelsey!
* Dad’s house and holiday apartments, beyond cool. He did most of the work to renovate them himself!

Ashlae
    September 29, 2013 at 5:56 am

You're sweet. Thanks, lady!

I'm really fascinated by those enormous lemons. I vote you zest one of those babies and mix it with some good quality cane sugar. You'll be sprinkling lemon goodness all year 'round πŸ˜‰

September 29, 2013 at 7:07 am

Good call love! I reckon I'd get about a cup of zest from one, possibly more… hehe xx

Irina @ wandercrush
    September 29, 2013 at 7:44 am

Oh goodness, I can hardly handle the lemon photos. Maybe it's the nutty fine artist in me, but I have an overwhelming urge to photograph, paint, sketch, every bizarre indentation and bump! What specimens.
    Or you could always churn out jars and jars of candied lemon peel, which would make nice edible gifts around the holidays.

September 29, 2013 at 10:52 am

Aren't they the most amazing lemons? There's been some really funny ones over the past few years. The kids love them πŸ™‚
      Candied lemon peel sounds like a great idea! Thank you xx

Tracey Hawke
    September 29, 2013 at 8:55 am

How about a delicious lemon slice. I also love to juice the lemon and then put the juice in the freezer to use later. A really naughty option is to make your own lemon cordial from the juice, sugar and zest. It's great to add to hot or cold water.

September 29, 2013 at 10:56 am

Lemon cordial has actually been on my mind too πŸ™‚

Χ Χ— מן
    September 29, 2013 at 9:17 am

you can do the same with slices of your giant lemon
    the video is in Hebrew but you will get the idea its only allot of salt and alittle paprica and oil
    ready in tow weeks and lasts forever in your fridge.

September 29, 2013 at 10:57 am

Hey thanks for sharing that! xx

Sini
    September 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

Oh. My. God. Those lemons! Insane. Seems like they have been grown with lots of love and passion… I would probably make lemonade. Or lemon curd. Or both. And make the lemon sugar Ashlae suggested!

September 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

Yes I'm definitely going to make some lemon sugar, and I reckon I'd have enough juice from one of those giants to make a batch of both the lemonade and lemon curd πŸ™‚ haha

laura@bakinginpyjamas
    September 29, 2013 at 9:48 am

Oh wow, they look amazing. Does every lemon end up that size?

September 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Nah, there's just been a handful of these really huge ones. But I suppose overall our lemons are all bigger than the average store bought one.

Harvest - A seasonal approach to wholefoods
    September 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thanks so much for the mention, we have been fans of your blog for the longest time, giving us lots of inspiration to start Harvest!

September 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

Ah that's so cool!! Love what you guys are doing, all the best xx

Cottage Tails
    September 29, 2013 at 6:16 pm

They are two impressive lemons – what on earth are you feeding them SMILE.
    Love Leanne

September 30, 2013 at 12:42 am

Cool eh? πŸ™‚ I think it's more to do with the variety of lemon than what we do to it. But we do keep the base well mulched, feed it organic fertiliser every now then and keep it pruned.

Wendy B
    September 29, 2013 at 9:23 pm

definitely lemon curd…..you'd have stocks for years!!!……and even a giant lemon meringue pie…..yummo!

September 30, 2013 at 2:00 am

Lemon curd is on my list of jobs today πŸ™‚ xx

Gabby
    September 30, 2013 at 12:43 am

Wow, those lemons are amazing! With lemons that size you've got enough to do so many recipes – lemon water, lemon meringue pie, lemon curd, lemon slice, lemon dressings, lemon drizzle cakes, lemon shortcakes, lemon chicken…lemon everything!!

September 30, 2013 at 1:59 am

Haha, yes… lemon everything πŸ™‚

Shelly
    September 30, 2013 at 12:53 am

Wow – those lemons are insane! You just blew my mind! I don't know what to do with the insides but i bet you can make a big batch of lemon extract with the peels that would be perfect for baking / gifts!

September 30, 2013 at 1:58 am

Lemon extract! Yes! I've actually never made that at home before, so sounds like a great little project for he school holidays πŸ™‚ Thanks love… off to google a recipe now xx

thelittleloaf
    September 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

I always look forward to your round ups but this one is especially awesome – happy September!

September 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Kate xx

danijela k.
    September 30, 2013 at 11:24 am

If I saw those lemons in a store I would probably think they were some rare grapefruit sort. πŸ™‚
    I like your Dad's work. Amazing. If I ever get lucky to travel to NZ, I would really like to rent it.

September 30, 2013 at 12:06 pm

He's a very clever man that Dad of mine. xx

Jo Balfe
    September 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Awesome list of links as always! I am enjoying the 'don't take food (life) so seriously theme! I also think these thoughts alot and have lost followers/ had people faces drop if I go onto mention that yes, I eat sugar/gluten etc some times! We all need to enjoy the experience of eating what ever diet we adhere to right? Thanks for sharing your thoughts of the last month.. they echo mine quite closely. As for those lemons of yours… I think they need to go in the record books! I think all of my suggestions have been covered already, but If I were you, I'd be making gallons of lemonade, zingy green juice and zesty tagines : ) x

October 1, 2013 at 11:44 am

Thanks for your lovely comment Jo xx

Colette Joseph
    September 30, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I love their weird shape and you have a lot of zest you can use.
    The zest is great in any baked good, pancakes, even your morning coffee.
    The juice would make delicious lemonade…….

October 1, 2013 at 11:44 am

I don't drink coffee, but am intrigued by the lemon zest in your morning coffee comment! It sounds amazing πŸ™‚

Ginger
    October 1, 2013 at 12:04 am

Do you know what kind of lemons they are? They look like the giant lemons that grow on the Amalfi Coast in Italy! There are also Ponderosa lemons in the US that sound like that, too. Fascinating!

October 1, 2013 at 5:34 am

You know what I really have no idea what kind they are? I've seen other trees like them around our area though, so I don't think they are anything overly special. And strangely not all the lemons on the tree grow like this, some are teeny, some are deformed (in an extremely funny way!) and some are just regular size. It really is a funny tree πŸ™‚

eatthismyfriend
    October 1, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I am in Melbourne and have a lemon tree in my backyard which produces exactly the same lemons! I love them, they are super juicy and have the loveliest flavour too.
    Also, I feel compelled to say I am a big fan of your site – fantastic recipes and gorgeous photos, always.
    So, thank you. We are lucky you take the time to share them with us. X

October 4, 2013 at 12:46 am

You're so welcome Jade, thanks for your lovely comment xx

molly yeh
    October 3, 2013 at 11:56 pm

ohmygosh i just saw this! you are too sweet, emma! thank you so much for the shout out. happy october to you πŸ™‚

October 4, 2013 at 12:44 am

You're welcome Molly! Love what you do xx

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes
    October 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm

The lemons look like the ones in Positano, Italy! Humongous. Maybe you have an italian tree growing in your yard?! lol!

October 4, 2013 at 11:53 pm

You know you could be right, there is a huge Italian population here in Australia! And you're not the first person to mention that. They're awesome lemons whatever they are πŸ™‚

Gina
    October 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

When we visit friends in California I bring back a large basket of lemons from their lemon grove. Most of them become juice which we freeze and store in food saver bags. I use most of the juice for canning. When my fruit (in Utah) comes on lemons are very expensive. ox, Gina

Joe Kueser
    January 3, 2016 at 2:01 am

I know it's been a couple of years since you posted this, but I was just wondering if you ever learned anything about these mutants? I have a wonderful orange tree that just started producing fruit that looks very similar to your lemons. Equal in size, color, and weird bumpy texture. Thanks!

January 16, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Hi Joe, we found that after a few years of giving the lemon trees loads of love, water, mulch and fertiliser, it stopped forming these funny lemons and started producing beautiful even textured full-of-juice ones instead. Which leads me to believe the nobly skin is an indication that the tree is not too healthy? Just a thought though, as I'm really no expert πŸ™‚ xx