strawberry + coconut popsicle recipe {vegan}

8404529593_d9e992a3e0_z
summer 2013

I’m not always that good with change. Just like the kids I quite like knowing what’s going to happen next and absolutely hate that feeling of not knowing the local language when thrown in the deep end. And so I find myself sitting here typing up this post on my trusty old computer while the brand-spanking new one sits to the side of me on the desk, lid down and lifeless. I’ve given it a good shot I really have, I’ve spent way too many late nights trying to get my head around this new beast and have transferred over a big bulk of my book work so I can keep working without interruption. But then the time comes to write up this post and it all just felt a little too hard. My brain hurts, and I just liked the way things were you know? We really needed to get a new one as this one has a lovely habit of overheating and turning itself off, not really the best thing to be dealing with when working on something so important. That and the fact that this computer isn’t even really ours, although we have been told we can keep it, it’s still the one that we originally borrowed from my sister-in-law when the our first old faithful up and died. For someone that spends a good part of everyday online it may come as a surprise to you all, but I really am no tech-head. I get easily frustrated with computers and many-a-time would rather just pick up a pen and paper to write, it’s so much easier on the brain I find.

So while I get back to my cursing at damn learning how to navigate windows 8, I’ll leave you with this super simple popsicle (aka ice-block, icy-pole) recipe that we’ve been eating all summer long. I’m sure just like every time I curse a new facebook change, I will get over it and what once seemed too hard with become second nature. Well, here’s hoping anyways, I’ve got a lot of work to get done!

strawberry coconut popsicles {vegan}

Strawberry
coconut popsicles

These
dairy-free ice-blocks/icy-poles/popsicles get their creaminess from coconut milk. Do make sure you
check the ingredients list of your coconut milk though; it should just read
coconut and water. That’s it. If you wanted to make these sugar-free I’d go for brown rice syrup or honey (to taste) in place of the sugar.
Makes 4

250g punnet strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup (50g) unrefined raw sugar
1/2 cup (125ml) coconut milk
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Combine sliced strawberries and sugar in a bowl,
stir to combine and set aside for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until
syrupy. Place strawberries and their syrup, coconut milk and lemon juice into a
blender and blend on high until smooth. Divide mixture between ice-block moulds
and snap on the lids, or if using wooden sticks freeze the ice-blocks for 1
hour before inserting wooden sticks. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.

Elizabeth @allthatisbeautiful
    January 23, 2013 at 2:15 am

They look delicious. I also do not like when something breaks or changes and interrups my churrning out standard and easy (because it's what I know works and how)life. xx

January 23, 2013 at 9:47 am

These sound fresh and lovely indeed, prefect for these scorchers.
    I'm pretty computer illiterate, I struggle and if I don't know I ask my teenager 🙂 I figure that being dyslexic and ADD excuses me- but it won't beat me!

My Kitchen Stories.
    January 23, 2013 at 10:17 am

Its great to know I'm not the only technologically challenged one its hard enough trying to fit in all the things you know you have to do and all the things you want to do and learn something new at the same time. There wouldn't be enough time to make popsicles for the kids now would there?

January 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Oh I feel exactly the same way. Whether the change is "good" or not, the idea of it always terrifies me because it is something different and I don't like different. Popsicles on the other hand? I do like!

And that first picture completely melts my heart. You've captured the moment beautifully.

Colette Just for Foodies
    January 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Yuuuummmmm

Suzanne Perazzini
    January 24, 2013 at 4:41 am

I can just imagine how creamy those popsicles are with the coconut milk.
    I am exactly the opposite to you. I thrive on change and love updating technology. I find it a wonderful challenge to conquer the latest of whatever it is. If everything is the same, I die a little every day so I need to shake things up continuously, much to the distress of my husband.

January 24, 2013 at 9:06 am

Oh wow, wish I had a little bit of your desire to learn new technology. I felt like I was left behind years ago and now it all just makes no sense :-/ Haha

Shauna
    January 25, 2013 at 4:02 am

Under what rock have I been living that I only just discovered your lovely blog today?!?! And such a relevant post too, as I'm currently cursing technology (and cheering my victories!) while updating my own website. I look forward to my tea breaks over the next few days- I'll be reading through more of your posts! Yay!

January 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Welcome Shauna! So lovely to have you here xx

vanilla bean blog
    January 26, 2013 at 4:23 am

It's freezing cold here in Minneapolis, but I still want one of your ice pops.
    And, I am the same way, I have so much fear/frustration with new things. {You can do it! :)}

January 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Thanks love, I'm getting there 🙂 xx

Gluten Free Julia
    January 26, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Completely understand where you are coming from! But while technology may not be your strength – photography certainly is! Those popsicles look delicious.

January 26, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Aw thank you! xx

Janet NZ
    January 27, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I was given an ipad for my birthday – I should be delighted, but a large part of me wishes it had been a new windows wotsit. Apples are DIFFERENT… sigh. We're expecting temperatures in the high 20's this week (29c… in PALMERSTON NORTH????!!!) – so I think these popsicles will hit a few spots here too. Good luck with windows 8 🙂

calicoanne
    January 27, 2013 at 10:49 pm

yuuuum!!!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed
    February 8, 2013 at 4:09 am

Oh lovely lovely lovely. Truly. & yes, sometimes I just want to go back to pen & paper & stop all of this technology business!
    Heidi xo

Heide M (TM)
    February 19, 2013 at 6:00 am

Can't wait to try this.

katecrackpot
    April 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I just discovered your blog,
    and will definitely try some of your recipes!
    I love the way you photograph your things.. so natural and calm.

April 22, 2013 at 1:06 am

Thank you! Welcome xx

Rachel C
    November 11, 2013 at 3:48 am

Yum! I'll add this to my collection of dairy free things that still satisfy my dairy cravings 🙂 Elisha and Charlie and I loved these, Zac not so (but doesn't like coconut, more for me LOL).

Shangri La
    February 27, 2016 at 12:55 pm

I made these last night and they are absolutely divine and so easy to make!!! I am definitely checking out your other recipes. Thank you so much for sharing!