beetroot + orange salad with honey mustard miso dressing

7831233162_8db6d3abb2_z

beetroot + orange salad w/ honey mustard miso dressing

Lately we’ve been returning home from the weekend markets laden with bags of citrus. There’s always a couple of different kinds of mandarins for the kids lunches, sweet Bindoon oranges for eating and last week I even went crazy and bought a 12kg bag of oranges for juicing. I really do have to find myself one of those nana-shopping-trolleys, you know those big baskets on wheels that up until a few years ago only women over the age of around 60 or so would be seen pulling along behind them? Yep, one of those would make my life a damn sight easier on Saturday mornings. It’s one of the things I most look forward to when Si’s home on his week off. Having someone else to help carry the heavy shopping bags so the kids can hold my actual hand instead of just my back pocket is always welcomed. There is no way I would have dreamt of bringing 12kg worth of oranges home had I not had an extra pair of hands, that’s for sure. I ain’t crazy. Mostly.

beets
beets

Now that I’ve finally shaken my cold (thanks for all the well wishes by the way!), I’ve had a hankering for something light and fresh. I’ve always loved the pairing of beetroot and orange, so with a few little extra’s from the garden and pantry I pulled together this beautiful salad for lunch the other day that totally hit the spot.

orange
Untitled
honey + mustard + miso

I layered sweet juicy oranges between slices of beautiful earthy beets, a little peppery punch of freshly picked rocket (arugula) and crunch of pistachios added texture, while the creamy honey mustard miso dressing brought it all together perfectly. Super simple, yet incredibly good.

P.s The lovely Lucy has an interview with yours truly up on her blog The KitchenMaid today.

beetroot + orange salad w/ honey mustard miso dressing

beetroot + orange salad with honey mustard miso dressing
This recipe can easily be doubled to feed more people. The dressing amounts listed below make more than you will need for this salad, but I have no doubt that you’ll find other ways to use it up. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to a week. If you are coeliac or really sensitive to gluten please make sure you check the ingredients on the Dijon mustard and white miso as some brands can contain wheat. Depending on how sweet or tart your lemons are you might need to add a little more honey to the dressing than I did. Taste and adjust as you see fit.
serves 2 or more as part of a meal.

• 1 bunch baby beetroot (approx 6 small), leaves trimmed off about 2cm above the beet, reserve any of the nice little young leaves to use later
  • 3 oranges, peeled and cut into thin slices
  • a good handful of rocket (arugula)
  • 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts, roughly chopped

honey mustard miso dressing

• 1 tablespoon white miso
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon runny honey
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice (from around 1-2 small lemons)
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt, to taste
Place beetroot into a medium saucepan, cover generously with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for approx 30 minutes or until tender. Drain off water and cool. When cool, peel and slice thinly.
To make miso dressing combine white miso, mustard and honey in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Add lemon juice and whisk well. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking continuously to form a lovely emulsified dressing, season well with sea salt to taste.
To serve, arrange slices of beetroot and orange on a plate, scatter over a little rocket and reserved beetroot leaves. Sprinkle on pistachio and drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.

August 1, 2012 at 10:15 am

Lovely recipe…and by the way, I cant live without my nana trolley! you can get some pretty funky ones these days, and I like the old whicker ones too…you go shopping in the markets in Italy and France, and all ages use them! Simone.

Adam
    August 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Awesome flavor combinations. I knew orange and beets were a great combo but I didn't know about miso. Miso and apple is quite well known, I guess oranges citrus flavor goes well. What else do you often combine miso with? I'm currently building an online flavor thesaurus and would love to hear any suggestions.

Michael Toa
    August 1, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hi Emma. Hope you are well. I really enjoy reading your q+a session at Lucy's blog. What a lovely, beautiful and vibrant salad. I adore beetroot and the way you present the salad is just gorgeous. Nice being introduced to you 🙂
    Have a great day.

August 2, 2012 at 4:07 am

Hi Michael, thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words 🙂

idiosyncraticeye
    August 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I have one of those shopping trolleys! Mine's a little bigger though on four wheels so it's kind of granny trolley crossed American style hobo cart. It may be classy but sure does take a lot of stuff. 😉

Colette Zabo
    August 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Beautiful salad. But, yes, beets can be dangerous with the colouring!

paula @ podandthreepeas
    August 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm

that salad is so pretty and nana trolleys are compulsory at melbourne markets, as are the resulting ankle injuries !!

August 2, 2012 at 8:25 am

Perfect match, beetroot and citrus are delicious! I love my Nanna trolley, you really do need to get one you know- they're trendy…. I promise 🙂

August 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Haha I know! I'm keeping my eye out for one. It's funny, I'm the one that feels silly at the markets… for not having one! 🙂

Jacquie
    August 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Lovely interview,great recipe.Beets are just starting here,so i will have to bookmark your dreessing,first have to figure out how to do that;]Is your lentil sauce just tomato with lentils chucked in,or a totally diffrent beast

August 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Pretty much just cooked lentils in tomato sauce 🙂

Christina Marie
    August 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This is the prettiest salad! I would definitely feel elegant eating this. xox

Christina

Jessie
    August 3, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Lovely!

Mairi @ Toast
    August 5, 2012 at 12:17 am

Beautiful salad Emma, love the colours and the flavours, that dressing sounds amazing.

Kristina Hasan
    August 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

What a gorgeous salad, looks amazing. Beautiful pictures too. Thank you!

e / dig in
    August 6, 2012 at 6:11 am

so elegant! however, i'm afraid Hobart weather is currently calling for stodge, and lots of it. this would satisfy me in a few months' time when the weather is warmer, but right now i need the insulating qualities (and quantities) of carbohydrates!

August 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Yeah sorry about that! Was lovely, warm + sunny here in Perth last week 😉 I forget that everyone else is still in the middle of winter…

timeforalittlesomething.com
    August 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hi Emma, lovely post – I LOVE beetroot and have been incarnating it in many salads so will add this one to the list to try! My favourite image is of your stained fingers – beetroot is such a great colour! I got beetroot or its juice on my shoe a few weeks ago and the stain it is refusing to budge. Now I kind of like it 😉

August 9, 2012 at 11:27 am

I agree, it is a beautiful colour isn't it 🙂

Julie
    February 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Hi Emma, this salad looks amazing. Unfortunately I have not found white miso anywhere in Norway. I do have red one and a darker one. Do you have any suggestions on what I can replace the white miso with?

February 5, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I'd try a little of your red one, just add to taste. The colour + flavour will be a bit more intense but I'm sure still lovely. Failing that I'd add a little soy sauce to give the same salty flavour you are after. The dressing will be thinner, but still yum xx

Julie
      February 5, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm making this tonight as a side dish for dinner -)