chocolate filled gluten-free cookie recipe

I’ve left enough time between chocolate cookie posts eh? Of course I have! Especially when it’s a recipe for soft gluten-free chocolate cookies sandwiched together with rich chocolate ganache that’s on offer right? Yeah, I thought as much…

In case you hadn’t noticed I’m online once again and with Si starting back at work this week after 2 1/2 months recovering from his broken leg, things are starting to feel a little more ‘normal’ around here once again. Yay! What better way to celebrate than to whip up a batch of little chocolate filled cookies? Now I do love giant cookies and every cafe I’ve ever worked in has made some variation of the generic giant chocolate chip cookie, but sometimes it’s really nice to use a little restraint and make little mini mouth-full sized ones, don’t you think?

These cookies are a cinch to make, after throwing all the cookie ingredients into the food processor and pulsing a few times you are left with a beautifully soft dough which then hangs out in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill, before being rolled into teeny tiny little balls. While the dough is doing it’s thing in the fridge, whip up the rich chocolate ganache and chill, so that when the cookies are cooked and cooled you are mere moments away from sinking your teeth into one.

If eaten straight away they are rich and soft, with the icing threatening to ooze out. But if for some strange reason you don’t eat them all immediately, store in a container in the fridge where the ganache firms up a little more, making it hard to distinguish where the cookie ends and the filling begins. Either way, chocolate cookies are chocolate cookies. We all love them, eh.

chocolate filled gluten-free cookies
I love the deep molassesy richness that muscovado sugar brings to baking, but if you prefer you can use regular brown or caster sugar. If you don’t have quinoa flour, sub in your favourite gluten-free flour by weight, the results won’t be identical to mine but I’m sure they’d be lovely all the same, fine millet flour would be my next choice. Here in Australia and back home in NZ we know corn starch as cornflour, confusing I know as corn flour is a whole other thing. American readers use what you know as corn starch in this recipe. To make these dairy-free also, I’d use dairy-free margarine in place of butter and coconut cream in place of the cream.
makes around 12 little filled cookies

• 65g cold butter, chopped
  • 1/4 cup (55g) muscovado sugar (or use brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup (30g) quinoa flour
  • 1/4 cup (35g) fine brown rice flour
  •  2 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free cornflour (corn starch)
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) cream, single or pouring
  • 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped

Place the butter, muscovado sugar, quinoa flour, brown rice flour, cornflour, cocoa and egg yolk into a food processor and pulse until a soft dough forms. Form into a disc, place in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

To make the chocolate ganache filling, heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until just boiling. Remove from the heat, add the chopped chocolate and leave to sit for 1 minute. Stir until smooth then refrigerate until cold.

Preheat oven to 180 C/350 F. Line a oven tray with baking paper. Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls, flatten and place onto the tray (you will need to do 2 batches). They don’t spread much during cooking, so flatten them quite a lot. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the bases are lightly cooked. Cool for a minute or two on the tray before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Sandwhich two cookies together with spoonfuls of cooled chocolate ganache and serve at once or store in a airtight container in the fridge for later.

This recipe is linked to:
* Slightly indulgent Tuesdays @ Simply sugar & gluten-free

and is my entry for Sweet New Zealand, being hosted by Bron Marshall this month.

November 12, 2011 at 4:39 am

these look so good. I take it you could just use 3/4 c ordinary flour? Miriam makeititgiveit(at)gmail(dot)com

November 12, 2011 at 5:01 am

I'd use 1/2 cup plain (wheat) flour in place of the quinoa and brown rice flours, but still use the cornflour (corn starch).

November 12, 2011 at 11:21 am

I like little cookies, I can take more than one without being greedy šŸ™‚ These look just lovely and I love how easy they are to make too, yumm…

November 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

these look so cute and delicious!

November 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm

These look decadent and luscious in one small bite – yummmm!

November 14, 2011 at 1:50 am

These looks lovely! Great gluten-free recipe!

Jennifer (Delicieux)
    November 14, 2011 at 7:37 am

Yum, yum, yum!!! These look fantastic, and I love how chocolatey they are!!! I've never heard of quinoa flour though. I will have to keep an eye out for that.

November 14, 2011 at 7:59 am

it's a great nutritious gluten-free flour, I get mine at the health food store… (it's pretty expensive, so I tend to just use small amounts).

jas - the gluten free scallywag
    November 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

mmm… gluten free chocolate cookies, delicious – can't wait to try them!

Eat Well at This American Bite
    November 15, 2011 at 1:20 am

They look so good, I have never cooked with quinoa flour, but now I have a reason to!

November 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I love the pictures, I will give these a go! (I also love your blog theme, so cute!)

November 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Yummy, these look so good!

EA-The Spicy RD
    November 16, 2011 at 12:24 am

These look so yummy, and I love how easy they are to make! Definitely going on my "to bake" list! P.S. Wish you could enter my Chocolate ChickPz giveaway too šŸ™‚

November 16, 2011 at 2:20 am

These look amazing, a bit like chocolate macarons.

Eileen Beran
    November 16, 2011 at 2:51 am

These cookies look so pretty! Great post, looks like a good recipe. Thanks!

Cass @foodmyfriend
    November 16, 2011 at 5:03 am

These look really luscious. I actually made a really yummy fudgey gluten free cookie recipe and then lost it šŸ™ Too many notes, not enough time. I'll be making these this weekend.

November 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

These are gorgeous little cookies – I love the recipe and your photos. I could go for indulging right now…

November 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm

hi emma
    to be honest i thought these might not be chocolatey enough for me!! seemed a small amount of cocoa you see.. BUT they were delish, so fudgy, kind of like brownie in a cookie. and exactly as you say the cookie and filling meld into one amazingly. the quinoa flour gives them a great texture too. i used rice bran oil in place of butter for my daughter, and made a double batch of the cookies, so that i could give her some plain ones and finish the rest with ganache. thanks again…

November 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

can i just say thank-you as a recipient of some of these cookies via Rach – they were ah-may-zing!

never three much!
    November 23, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I really want to try making these! Would chocolate ganache still work with a dairy free substitue? Maybe a can of coconut milk as its pretty thick like cream? hmmm

November 24, 2011 at 4:10 am

Yep coconut cream or milk works great in ganache and just use dairy-free margarine for the butter.

November 24, 2011 at 4:11 am

Oh and Em, you are welcome! I'm so impressed with the amount of my recipe that Rach makes šŸ™‚

November 27, 2011 at 12:25 am

Now I want chocolate! These look so good, I love how the filling & the cookie almost become one….but yes who knows if they would last that long!

November 27, 2011 at 9:21 am

Oh gosh! Yes! I wished I had seen these at the beginning of the weekend and not the end. Never mind, there are other weekends. Now save into my "recipes to try" folder. Thank you.

Heather Stewart
    December 21, 2011 at 8:20 am

This sounds like a gorgeous recipe that I can't wait to try. Do you think these would work with a little espresso coffee added? I love the chocolate and coffee combination.

December 21, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Why yes a little espresso would work wonders in these! I'd add just a little finely ground coffee beans or instant coffee to the chocolate ganache filling.

Heather Stewart
    December 21, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Really? The ground beans rather than the brewed espresso? Hmm I guess then you'd have a sloppy mess so yes, sounds good. Will give it a go! Thanks so much

December 22, 2011 at 12:19 am

I mostly just add the ground beans to ganache, but if preferred you could also substitute a little of the cream for brewed espresso.

Heather Stewart
    December 23, 2011 at 7:42 am

Will make some over the nextbfew days and let you know how they turn out:)

Heather Stewart
    January 2, 2012 at 2:09 am

Hi Emma. Tried the recipe today and decided to go with the finely ground beans in the ganache. The taste of the biscuits was absolutely divinely, chocolatey and rich. I really liked the taste of the ganache too with a teaspoon of coffee grounds. Not sure if perhaps they could have done with a little longer in the oven but they crumbled when I went to put them together with the ganache. Not been much of a biscuit maker in the past so can you think of why they came out so soft? Cheers

January 2, 2012 at 6:24 am

Hi Heather, I would just bake them a little longer and make sure that when you sandwich them together you make sure the ganache isn't set too hard. Hope that helps.

Heather Stewart
    January 3, 2012 at 5:12 am

Ok.will try that. Thanks. I wondered if it might be better to put the baking sheet on an upper shelf of the oven (being hotter) rather than the centre? But definitely think they needed a little longer. Maybe my oven doesn't get as hot as it should.

Louise Taylor
    March 14, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I just tried this and even though it only made 6 (doubled up with ganache) they are scrummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe šŸ™‚

Lou x