chocolate hazelnut slice recipe

That’s not exactly what I should be naming these babies, but sometimes I just feel it’s a little bit of an over-kill to write gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar free in the title of a recipe. Even if that’s exactly what this is. Would I sound like a real geek if I mentioned too that these are raw also? If you leave out the toasting of the hazelnuts that is. I couldn’t help myself. The chef in me just had to do it. I love raw cashews, eat raw almonds by the handful. Brazil nuts, pecans, sunflower and pumpkin seeds… you guessed it, raw. But hazelnuts, never.

Nothing beats the earthy aroma and crisp crunch of freshly toasted hazelnuts. Mixed with anything chocolaty and you’ve got me in one bite. Like my carob tofu bliss balls from a wee while back, this slice is naturally sweetened with dates and maple syrup, making it one of those treats you really don’t mind the kids eating as often as they like. I used dried dates but if you can get your hands on (and afford) fresh medjool dates, go ahead, knock yourself out! I imagine they'd make this slice mind blowing. If you can eat butter, feel free to use that in place of the coconut oil, omitting the salt if you do. Honey can be used in place of the maple, however I prefer the lovely not-so-sweet and in your face nature of maple. Agave would be another good substitute if that's your thing.

Adapted from this recipe @ Green Kitchen Stories.

chocolate hazelnut slice
You can buy pre-ground flaxseeds (linseeds) or grind your own in a coffee grinder. Store any excess in the fridge or freezer as they tend to go rancid quickly once ground.
Makes 8 decent slices

• 2 cups (265g) dried dates
  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground flaxseeds (linseeds)
  • 2 small pinches fine sea salt
  • 1/2 cup (60g) hazelnuts, toasted, skins rubbed off and roughly chopped *
  • cocoa powder, extra, for dusting

Place all the ingredients except for the hazelnuts into a food processor and blend until the mixture is reasonably fine and paste-like. You may need to stop the machine on occasion and mix it with a spoon to help your processor along.

Transfer date mixture to a medium bowl and mix the hazelnuts through by hand. Press the mixture into a baking paper lined tin (I used a loaf tin), smoothing off the top with the back of a spoon.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight before slicing. Dust with cocoa powder if you like and serve. This will happily store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 5-7 days, if for some strange reason it's not eaten before then!

* To toast the hazelnuts, cook in a preheated oven at 180 C/350 F for 8-10 minutes, shaking the tray a few times during cooking, until golden. Remove from the oven and tip onto a clean tea towel. Rub the hazelnuts between the towel to remove some of the skin. You will probably not be able to remove all the skin, that's fine, do your best.

This recipe has been linked to:

*Go ahead honey, it's gluten-free & sugar-free SundayFlip cookbook

Slightly Indulgent Tuesday~ simply sugar & gluten-free

haideestar
    June 4, 2011 at 1:07 am

Love the photos ! Fresh dates , OMG my fav – but any date is a good date …. once again delightful Emma .

Khuong Tranter
    June 4, 2011 at 2:56 am

mmmmmm another gorgeous treat i will be making. maybe even today, as my sweet tooth is crying out again haha. thanks for the recipe em xx

Sam
    June 4, 2011 at 9:33 am

I am so making this!! xo

ninehundredandseventytwelverecipes
    June 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Oh.Wow!

hungryandfrozen
    June 5, 2011 at 10:42 am

I think I'd have trouble not toasting the nuts either. Gosh this looks wonderful – reminds me of a recipe I've made a few times for 'raw cookies' although a slice is always a lot more straightforward and that's why I suspect slices outweigh cookies in terms of what gets made in my kitchen! Will save this one up for when nuts go on special at the supermarket 🙂

the good soup
    June 6, 2011 at 4:10 am

A very healthy friend of mine told me that toasting nuts makes their oil rancid, is this true?! I mean, toasted nuts don't TASTE rancid, they taste DELICIOUS! This recipe is gorgeous Emm. I'll be making it as soon as I come out of my post catering slumber.

June 6, 2011 at 5:35 am

Hmmm I've never heard that one Angela, however I do know that eating raw nuts is way better for you, soaked is even better still. But I'm more of a eat-what's-best-for-you-most-of-the-time, and eat-whatever-your-heart-desires the rest kinda gal 🙂 Oh post catering slumber, I remember that. Xx

calicoanne
    June 6, 2011 at 8:04 am

this looks sooooo yumm yumm yuuuum

Ma What's 4 dinner
    June 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Dates, chocolate, and hazelnuts???? Where do I sign up??? Those look fantastic and definitely something I will have to try soon. I always feel better if my chocolate has nuts in it…you know, protein and all! 🙂

It's my first time here…thanks so much for the inspiration! I'll be back soon for sure.

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner

Raj @ Flip Cookbook
    June 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I should never visit your site at lunch time :P. This is so gorgeous. I'm going to have to make this tonight!

Thanks for the share at Sugar Free Sunday!

One Healthy Cook
    June 16, 2011 at 6:17 am

delightfull recipe…really yumm!!

Hannah
    June 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Oh my!! I've just discovered your blog: it's amazing! 🙂 I've just started using coconut oil in my cooking and it's great! And I've also just starting trying out raw desserts and will definitely try this one! Thanks 🙂
    Hannah x

themommybowl.com
    June 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

Mmmm – looks totally delicious. I just discovered your blog through Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays. Looks like I'll be visiting often! 🙂

Brooke
    July 4, 2011 at 5:59 am

I just found your blog through finding vegan. Holy Yum, Batman! I love the name of your blog, btw! It makes me happy just to read it!

Vicky
    September 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

Yum!

lauren rotchie
    August 28, 2012 at 8:33 am

How much does it make?

August 28, 2012 at 11:18 am

8 decent slices 🙂

December 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This sounds good and perfect for Christmas. Quick question – do you gently heat the coconut oil first so that it is liquid, as in your other chocolate mejdool date slice recipe? Thank you.

December 17, 2012 at 5:38 am

Yes if it's solid, just heat until melted xx

Colette Joseph
    July 1, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Hi, Emma.
    Yday, Daisy wanted to bake, but it was just too too hot to run the oven.
    So, we made a version of this slice, thanks to you!

It turned out beautifully. We took it to our neighbour-friend's house for coffee and she loved it, too.
    Cheers!