Saturday, October 30, 2010
With a few handfuls of fresh herbs from the garden, some toasted almonds for crunch, perfectly ripe Hass avocado, there is nothing that screams more of spring...don't you think?
this wonderful recipe of David Lebovitz's to pickle most of the crop. I'm not looking forward to the day (very soon) when they will all be gone! I'd better grow a lot more this season.
raw asparagus quinoa salad with almond and jalapeno recipe
I imagine a crumbling of feta cheese would go nicely in this salad too, if you do dairy. Serves 4-6 as a side or less as a main meal.
- 250 g bunch of fresh asparagus (approx. 10 spears)
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 2 cups of cooked and cooled quinoa (1/2 cup raw) see here for cooking instructions
- small bunch of mint, roughly shredded
- small bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- small handful of chives, finely chopped
- 1-3 pickled jalapenos, sliced
- 1/4 cup (35 g) slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 7 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp runny honey
- 1 tsp mustard (make sure it's gluten-free)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the woody end and discarding, or save for stock/soup. Then either using a mandolin or a sharp knife, thinly slice the spears on a slight angle and place in a medium bowl. Add the pre-cooked and cooled quinoa, herbs, jalapenos (as many or as little as you like) and toasted almonds. Halve the avocado and scoop rough chunks into the bowl. Pour over enough dressing to coat and mix to combine. Enjoy!
All text and images copyrighted to Emma Galloway © 2010-2013, unless noted and may not be used without permission.
- ► 2014 (37)
- ► 2013 (69)
- ► 2012 (78)
- ► 2011 (82)
- ▼ October (7)
©2010-2013 Emma Galloway. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.